Banquet Chef - Salishan Spa & Golf Resort - Gleneden Beach, OR
Porfolio Hotels & Resorts
Portfolio Hotels & Resorts is changing the way people think about hospitality. From Upstate New York to Southern California, we are employing innovators nationwide. The success of this full-service hotel management company is defined by the culture we have created.
To truly embrace the heart of a servant philosophy, we impart four core values to everyone in the company: be incredibly friendly and positive, serve and respect others, be smart about our business and enthusiastically reimagine.
Through this approach, we have cultivated a corporate atmosphere that challenges and empowers employees, giving them a sense of purpose and the opportunity to reach their full potential. Currently, Portfolio operates and manages a select group of 20 properties around the country; a mix of destination resorts and urban hotels. Our boutique, people-centric mindset, however, is evident at every property - regardless of size or location.
We have developed a deep understanding of our customers, and offer experiences that are tailored to their specific liking when they stay at one of our hotels. By becoming attuned to the preferences of current and potential guests, we are fostering meaningful, lasting relationships with them while building long-term value for investors.
The Salishan Spa & Golf Resort
Salishan Spa and Golf Resort is a four-diamond property built in 1964. The resort is best described as "Rustic Northwest Elegance" featuring a main lodge, a conference center, 18-hole championship golf course, fitness center, tennis pavilion, and the Shops at Salishan. Guestrooms are housed in separate, secluded buildings with covered parking and pathways leading back to the main lodge. The entire resort, including private residential communities covers 750 forested acres and three miles of secluded beach. A renovation of the main lodge including two restaurants, cocktail lounge, and all guestrooms was last completed in late 1997. Additional renovations are planned in the near future including updates to the golf course to improve the overall course design and playability.
205 guestrooms; including three suites with views of golf course, forest or Siletz Bay. Oversized guestrooms feature king or double beds. Most rooms have gas fireplaces, step-out balconies, bathrobes, coffee makers, hair dryers, refrigerators, movies, guest voicemail, and original regional art.
Over 11,300 square feet of flexible meeting space. The Longhouse features a 4,500 square foot ballroom that can be divided into three salons. A 325 square foot registration/office room, a large (750 square feet) foyer, and a terraced patio comprise the rest of the Longhouse. The Council House ballroom is 2,600 square feet and can also be divided into three salons. Additional meeting space consists of breakout rooms ranging from 650 square feet to 1,300 square feet.
* The Longhouse and Council House names were derived from the Salish Indian tribe.
Restaurants and Wine Cellar
The Dining Room - Four diamond fine dining, with dramatic views of the Siletz Bay and seating for 70 people. Salishan's Dining Room has been recognized as the best fine dining, outside of the Portland metropolitan area for over 20 years.
The Sun Room - Light, airy atmosphere offering golf course views. Informal dining serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Wine Cellar - Grand award recipient from the Wine Spectator. The large cellar features an extensive collection of Oregon pinot noir. The Wine Cellar is available for catered events for up to 24 people.
The Grill - Located at the Golf Pro Shop. Offering high end pub fare.
The Attic- Lounge and bar offering small shareable plates and classic sandwiches.
- Be incredibly friendly and positive
- Serve and respect others
- Be smart about our business
- Enthusiastically reimagine
Mission Statement-Through our principle-based and customer intimate culture, we proudly partner with our associates to create unsurpassed hospitality experiences.
- Be 100% responsible and act with integrity in all situations.
- Keep all commitments and agreements.
- Promote trusting relationships through mutual cooperation and accountability.
- Encourage open and candid communication.
- Treat people with dignity, empathy and respect.
- Value and respect individual efforts to achieve a balanced life.
- Value diverse cultures, experiences, and opinions.
- Support self-development and a continuous learning environment.
- Be progressive in our thoughts and actions.
- Have fun and enjoy what you do.
Responsible for all aspects of managing the Kitchen and Kitchen personnel, ensuring the quality preparation of all menu items and proper handling/ storage of all food items in accordance with standards. Coordinates the purchase of all food and develops menus, maintaining approved food costs and labor costs.
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
SUPERVISES: Sous Chefs & Cooks & Executive Steward.
Kitchen, Stewarding, Service and Dining Room areas.
Job involves working:
- under variable temperature conditions (or extreme heat or cold).
- under variable noise levels.
- around fumes and/or odor hazards.
- around chemicals.
Internal: Staff in Kitchen, Stewarding, F&B, Purchasing Department, Storeroom, Engineering, Sales, Accounting, Housekeeping and Executive Committee Members.
External: Hotel guests/visitors, Food Vendors, Equipment Repair Company personnel, Health Department inspectors.
- High school diploma or equivalent vocational training certificate, some college.
- Certification of Culinary training or apprenticeship.
- 3 years experience in a similar position at a 4 diamond Hotel or Restaurant.
- Work all stations in Kitchen.
- Food handling certificate.
- Fluency in English both verbal and non-verbal.
- Compute basic arithmetic.
- Provide legible communication.
- Knowledge of food cost controls.
- Previously worked with all products and food ingredients.
- Operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions.
- Plan and develop menus and recipes.
- Expand and condense recipes.
- Ability to:
- perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy.
- prioritize and organize.
- be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgement.
- follow directions thoroughly.
- understand guest's service needs.
- work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team.
- work with minimal supervision.
- maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- ascertain departmental training needs and provide such training.
- direct performance of staff and follow up with corrections when needed.
- Culinary college degree.
- Drivers license.
- Fluency in a second language, preferably Spanish.
- Sanitation certificate.
- Maintain good coordination.
- Certification in CPR.
- Ability to input and access information in the property management system/computers/point of sales system.
- Previous guest relations training.
- Artistic talent.
- Exert physical effort in transporting up to 50 pounds.
- Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas.
- Reach 12 inches.
- Remain in stationary position for 8 hours throughout work shift.
- Satisfactorily communicate with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests' needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all Hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Review the daily activities; check the following:
- forecasted covers for each outlet
- Catering activity
- VIPs/special guests
- Establish the day's priorities and assign production and prep task to staff to execute.
- Review daily specials and offer feedback to Sous Chefs.
- Review Banquet Event Order sheets and make note of any changes; post function sheets for the next 7 days.
- Meet with Sous Chef to review schedules, assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance.
- Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift.
- Take physical inventory of specified food items for daily inventory.
- Review the market list.
- Requisition the days supplies and ensure that they are received and stored correctly. Communicate needs with Purchasing and Storeroom personnel. Ensure quality of products received.
- Meet with the Executive Steward to review equipment needs, Banquet plate up assistance, cleaning schedule/project status, Health/Safety and sanitation follow up.
- Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled; document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for staff.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Check and ensure that all opening duties are completed to standard.
- Ensure that each Kitchen work area is stocked with specified tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand.
- Ensure that recipe cards, production schedules, plating guides, photographs are current and posted.
- Check P.O.S. printers on the line; ensure they are in working order and there is enough paper available for the shift.
- Ensure that all staff prepare menu items following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards.
- Monitor performance of staff and ensure all procedures are completed to the department standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Work on line during service and assist wherever needed.
- Be aware of any shortages and make arrangements before the item runs out.
- Ensure that F&B Service Staff are informed of 86'd items and amount of available menu specials throughout the meal period.
- Observe guest reactions and confer with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Conduct a frequent walk- through of each Kitchen area and direct respective personnel to correct any deficiencies. Ensure that quality and details are being maintained.
- Inspect the cleanliness of the line, floor, all Kitchen stations. Direct staff to rectify any deficiencies.
- Ensure that staff maintain and strictly abide by State sanitation/Health regulations and Hotel requirements.
- Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and Hotel requirements.
- Instruct staff in the correct usage and care of all machinery in the Kitchen operation, stressing safety.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Develop new menu items, test and write recipes.
- Assist Catering Department with developing special menus for functions; meet with clients as requested.
- Supervise and direct the organization and preparation of food for the Employee Cafeteria.
- Review sales and food cost daily; resolve any discrepancies with the Controller.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food and labor costs.
- Ensure that excess items are utilized efficiently.
- Monitor and ensure that all closing duties are completed to standard before staff sign out.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Provide feedback to staff on their performance; handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to Hotel standards.
- Conduct scheduled performance appraisals.
- Interview and hire new personnel according to Hotel policies and standards.
- Prepare weekly work schedules for all Kitchen personnel in accordance with staffing guidelines and forecasted labor costs. Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet business demands.
- Prepare daily/weekly payroll reports.
- Document pertinent information in the log book and follow up on items notated during other shifts.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plan and conduct monthly departmental meetings.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, F&B meetings, pre-convention meetings, B.E.O. review meetings.
- Return business telephone calls.
- Answer correspondence.
- Research local farm products, new suppliers, special markets.
- Attend gourmet shows, food and wine meetings.
- Perform at special events and off-premise functions.
- Schedule and conduct month-end inventories.
- Prepare menu analysis and recipe costing.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, other employees or guests.
A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. He or she will be required to follow other instructions and perform other work-related duties requested by his or her supervisor.
|Posted on||13 Feb 2020|
|Location(s)||Salishan Spa & Golf Resort - Gleneden Beach, OR|
|Department||Food & Beverage|
|Career level||Management (supervisor)|
|More details (document)|